Saturday, September 20, 2008

Uri's Kingdom & Guatemala's Independence Day

September 15, 2008

Independence Day in Guatemala

Uri is one of the owners of Nana Juana. I believe he is a native of Israel and may be the chief of Israeli Security in Guatemala (maybe in Latin America.) I am just not sure. He has taken on Nana Juana Hotel and Marina as his retirement project and there are grand plans to make the resort into a world-class destination. No doubt, this will place Nana Juana out of our reach in the future, but for now we enjoy it. There is a great deal of development going on. A new restaurant is being constructed, some of the new docks are in place and big-boat garages are being built as well. The old restaurant will be taken down so that the expanded pool will have an unobstructed view of the lake. As I said, grand plans are afoot. It is important to Uri that these projects and the daily hotel management are done just right. When he speaks, people scurry. He is at the resort from Wednesday evening through Monday morning usually, so the scurrying doesn’t happen all the time. He has hired and fired several managers since June and there is a new chef as well. When Uri is around, no one thinks. They only need to do what he says to do and how he says to do it. Now!

On September 11th a hole was dug. On the 12th, a tall flagpole was erected and concrete was poured to keep it in place. Several of us cruisers helped Uri and his workers hoist the pole into position since all the work being done here is being done by hand…in the heat! It was interesting to be part of a process where no one took any initiative. Uri made all the orders and the workers only supplied the muscle when told to. It was like they were part of an organism with Uri as the brain. A dirt mound was formed around the concrete and sod was placed on the mound so that on the afternoon of the 13th, with pomp and circumstance, Uri and his staff could raise their flag for the first time.
In a somber and reverent voice, that I could not hear, Uri addressed his staff. I noticed his eyes welled with tears toward the end of his speech. I wondered if he was expressing his emotions regarding his patriotism or his gratitude for the opportunity to realize a dream come true or his upcoming retirement. Maybe it was a little of all of these.



I had taken photos of the first flag raising ceremony and as we shared an early morning walk, his wife requested copies. It was my intention to give them copies all along after I saw that only one other person was photographing this historic occasion besides me. Sometimes I remember the camera! Now Uri calls me “sir” when he sees me around the grounds or at the pool. I asked him to call me Jay, but he insists on “sir.” I think he can’t remember my name or that the English “J” sound is too foreign to him. “Hay” would do just fine. Anyway, it makes me chuckle to be “sir” to a big-shot like Uri.


Independence Day was the following day and Nana Juana showed their colors in fine patriotic fashion. Jim from S/V Lorena had given me an old, large Guatemalan flag in Isla Mujeres and Barb, Pam and I worked to get the rust stains out and replaced the grommets. We flew that flag for the day on Jupiter’s Smile as well. Even though it was Independence Day we still went to Spanish class and had homework! Ilianna is a demanding teacher, but we love her. Here is Barb doing homework. I should be doing mine too!
Hasta que la próxima vez. ¡Está bien mi familia y amigos!

No comments: